December 18, 2009

Sew Cute Part Two: Fold Up Fabric Kitchen

Here is the final piece of my little guy's Christmas gift. I'm really kicking myself that we sold the little plastic kitchen a few years ago. But we had boys... and I didn't think they'd want to play with it all that much. Stereotypical? Yes. I know.

Well, this will solve the problem of where he can "cook" his play food and yet doesn't take up any space. I could seriously fit this in a manila envelope and mail it to you! One of my other boys kept asking me if I thought the little guy would share with him. I assured him it will be more fun if everyone plays together!

I'm calling it a Fold-Up Fabric Kitchen. I saw the original idea here but modified it a bit and made it my own. Here are the details for those of you who are interested...
The entire thing is made of fabric. It measures about 30 inches by 15 inches. The main fabric pieces are flannel, yellow on one side and blue stars (not pictured) on the other--for most of it I just used what I had. The details are all felt. Again I just used the cheap felt sheets you can get at Wal-Mart or any craft store. Most of the details were blanket stitched on by hand but I used the machine for some of the work too.

On the far left are two "burners" with the controls and a clock. I made it so the fabric kind of folds over and will hang off the edge of a table to make it more dimensional.

I really need to work on my embroidery skills. I can't stitch words (or numbers!) very well at all. In the center is the "sink". I have a little droplet of water that I have yet to sew on by the "faucet". Below the sink is a handy little towel rack with a removable towel!
On the right is a "cutting board" which could also double as a dish drainer if needed.
The whole thing would cost around $5 to make even if you have to buy fabric. Assembly took just a few hours. I did most of the blanket stitching while on the phone with a friend (Hi Theresa!). If you are going to do that, let me suggest using speaker phone. My neck is still kind of sore from holding the phone under my chin. :)

If you are lucky enough to have a blanket stitch on your sewing machine assembly will go much faster. Or you could even skip the blanket stitch and just sew it on with the machine, but I liked the look of the blanket stitching.

Now I just have to finish the little stocking ornaments I am crocheting for the kids and I'll be done with my Christmas crafts for this year. Four down, two to go. They don't take much time at all to make so I shouldn't have any trouble finishing them. Did you make any crafts this Christmas??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!