December 20, 2009

Breakfast Recipes

This is what we had for breakfast this weekend:
Saturday-Egg & Sausage on Biscuits

No recipe for these really. Just cook up some sausage patties and eggs. Stack them on homemade biscuits with a slice of cheddar cheese. I cook the eggs kind of omelet style then cut them into round shapes with the biscuit cutter. If you want a great biscuit recipe here's the one I use:

Light and Flaky Biscuits

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt

1 T. baking powder

1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter or margarine

3/4 cup milk (+ 1 or 2 T. more)


Mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in butter. Add milk and stir with a fork until ball forms. Knead lightly into a ball but don't knead long. Pat out on a floured surface and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 until golden brown (about 10-12 minutes).


Sunday-Continental Breakfast Potluck at Church (I brought Poppy Seed bread)

If you need something yummy to serve at a Christmas brunch or even a quick baked gift? Try this. I got this recipe several years ago from a friend I went to nursing school with. I hadn't made it in a long time and revived it a few weeks ago. My whole family loves this bread. In fact, my hubby got after me because I've "had this recipe for 15 years and only made it a few times?". What's wrong with me! It is really easy to make too, so I don't have a good excuse.

Poppy Seed Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavored extract

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract

1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

2 1/4 cups white sugar

Mix all of the above well. Put into two greased 9 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 for about an hour (until golden and tests done). Cool a few minutes in the pan then poke holes in the top and pour on the glaze (below).

Glaze
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon butter flavored extract

1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (approx.) cups confectioners' sugar


To make glaze: Mix liquids and then add enough confectioners' sugar to make glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!